Chrome spray paint verses Krylon Looking Glass Paint

Ok. As you may have read I am cheap and I tried to make mercury glass from spray chrome paint. Despite the fact that their lids are equally shiny, they are not equal products. Not there is anything wrong with Krylon’s Chrome paint, it’s great. It just won’t work nearly as well as Kyrlon’s Looking Glass paint for getting a realistic mercury glass finish. The product is actually for making a mirror out of normal glass. It is not exactly cheap, but it does last a long time, and more importantly, it gives a beautiful mirror like finish.

Look at the difference…

Pretty amazing difference. Actually, it’s even more noticeable in real life. So, in summary, don’t waste your money on any other silver paint except Kyrlon’s Looking Glass for making mercury glass.

Go to my Mercury Glass Tutorial here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You can add images to your comment by clicking here.

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

Keri Lee Sereika July 7, 2011 at 10:11 am

These pics just don’t do it justice….I can’t WAIT to try this out!!! I am thinking my mantle could use a few nice pieces for the upcoming holiday season! :D ( yeah it may take me almost six months to get around to it!!! LOL)

Sabrina January 24, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Hi April!
Have you tried to apply this mirror paint to any
other surface besides glass.?.I’d love to know how it
Looks on wood..thinking out of the box here..if you try it, will
You give me your results/opinion?
Thanks

April L. January 25, 2012 at 9:31 am

Thanks so much for the side by side comparison! I just couldn’t bring myself to spend twice as much for that tiny can without being sure I REALLY needed the Looking Glass spray paint! You just saved me from wasting time and money on the chrome stuff. Now, I have to go find a coupon… ;)

Charlotte August 10, 2012 at 12:06 am

Looks really nice, But I was wondering what it would look like in wood not glass … I have an old dresser that I was thinking about to spray the krylon looking glass… I am sure that the effect would not be as beautiful as with glass… but still I wondering , have somebody ever tried to spray that on wood or other surfaces ?! if so how did it look?

admin August 10, 2012 at 7:13 am

I don’t think so. It’s made to spray on the back side of glass. Unlike normaL spray paint, it doesn’t build up it’s shine on the front surface. It actually is flat to look at on the side you are spraying. I think chrome paint would work better on wood. Hope that helps.

June Ahrens November 19, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I am an artist who is creating a large installation using jars. I am having trouble painting some of the smaller and deeper jars inside. Do you have any suggestions?

admin November 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm

They make extenders for spray paint that look like a long straw or tube. Would that help get the spray into the jars perhaps?

Jeanene December 5, 2012 at 9:19 am

You were reading my mind..I’m on a limited budget and was considering the cheaper spray product. I’m glad I read this or I would have wasted even more money buying twice! Thank you for taking the time to inform all of us “thrifty” crafters out here! Happy Holidays! I know what I’m making for Christmas presents this year! :)

admin December 12, 2012 at 6:33 pm

You are so welcome. Merry Christmas!

teri h hoover photography January 6, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Well y u are a lifesaver.
I cannot find the Looking Glass paint in any store at the moment, so I though I would go with the chrome. But lucky for me I googled chrome spray vs looking glass – and you popped up with the answer. I love the internet.

Now to order the Looking Glass paint online. Thanks again-

admin January 17, 2013 at 9:07 am

Glad I could help!

Rena February 22, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Hi!

Any ideas or products out there good for giving wood a true mirrored finish?

Cheers,
Rena
(DIY novice)

admin April 24, 2013 at 4:03 pm

From what I have seen you cannot get this look with wood, only glass.

Marcia Bivens October 15, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I sprayed a painted wood table with chrome paint, and it looked great. Unfortunately, the paint rubs off on your fingers and the top smudged when I touched it. Then, I tried to protect it with poly, and it turned gray. So don’t try poly on chrome! I wrote Krylon and never did get a satisfactory answer about a solution to this. I don’t understand why a company manufactures a paint that rubs off. Since this fiasco, I’ve read that others have had the same problem with chrome paint.

Pam Kemper July 6, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I am having a HECK of a time finding looking glass paint. I have tried Lowe’s, Home Depot, Michael’s, Sherwin Williams. Next stop, Walmart – ugh. Hobby Lobby is not close. I live in St. Pete, Fl. Any ideas? It really looks great, but you are right – chrome does not work!
Pam

admin July 22, 2013 at 10:43 am

I would just order it online. Michaels, AcMoore, or Hobby Lobby.

Pam Kemper July 6, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Any idea where to find looking glass paint in St. Pete, Fl.? Checked all the usual places. Next stop – Walmart.

Lilly-lilac August 6, 2013 at 9:33 am

Ace hardware sell it. I purchased two cans yesterday.

Billie Ouellette August 8, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Hello April,
I just happened upon your blog and am I glad I did. This is a wonderful design and I will be trying this very soon for my own home. Thanks for this great home decor idea. Looks like I’ll be following you. Thanks again.

ernie August 31, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Wher can i get this looking glass spray i live in canada

Liza C October 4, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Great post! Just what I was looking for in order to make an educated decision on which one to buy.
I know this is an old post but I can’t help pointing out one little thing.. it should be “Chrome spray paint VERSUS (not verses) Krylon Looking Glass Paint”

Linda November 1, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Hi April, I am trying to find an alternative to re-silvering an old mirror from a china hutch~ do you think would this product would work? Thanks for all the great information : )

Margo Richmond November 14, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Where do I get the special Krylon paint?

Previous post: