Chrome spray paint verses Krylon Looking Glass Paint

Ok. As you may have read I am cheap and I tried to make mercury glass from spray chrome paint. Despite the fact that their lids are equally shiny, they are not equal products. Not there is anything wrong with Krylon’s Chrome paint, it’s great. It just won’t work nearly as well as Kyrlon’s Looking Glass paint for getting a realistic mercury glass finish. The product is actually for making a mirror out of normal glass. It is not exactly cheap, but it does last a long time, and more importantly, it gives a beautiful mirror like finish.

Look at the difference…

Pretty amazing difference. Actually, it’s even more noticeable in real life. So, in summary, don’t waste your money on any other silver paint except Kyrlon’s Looking Glass for making mercury glass.

Go to my Mercury Glass Tutorial here.

31 comments… add one

• Keri Lee Sereika July 7, 2011, 10:11 am

These pics just don’t do it justice….I can’t WAIT to try this out!!! I am thinking my mantle could use a few nice pieces for the upcoming holiday season! 😀 ( yeah it may take me almost six months to get around to it!!! LOL)

• Sabrina January 24, 2012, 11:33 pm

Hi April!
    Have you tried to apply this mirror paint to any
    other surface besides glass.?.I’d love to know how it
    Looks on wood..thinking out of the box here..if you try it, will
    You give me your results/opinion?

• April L. January 25, 2012, 9:31 am

Thanks so much for the side by side comparison! I just couldn’t bring myself to spend twice as much for that tiny can without being sure I REALLY needed the Looking Glass spray paint! You just saved me from wasting time and money on the chrome stuff. Now, I have to go find a coupon… 😉

• Charlotte August 10, 2012, 12:06 am

Looks really nice, But I was wondering what it would look like in wood not glass … I have an old dresser that I was thinking about to spray the krylon looking glass… I am sure that the effect would not be as beautiful as with glass… but still I wondering , have somebody ever tried to spray that on wood or other surfaces ?! if so how did it look?

• admin August 10, 2012, 7:13 am

I don’t think so. It’s made to spray on the back side of glass. Unlike normaL spray paint, it doesn’t build up it’s shine on the front surface. It actually is flat to look at on the side you are spraying. I think chrome paint would work better on wood. Hope that helps.

• June Ahrens November 19, 2012, 4:32 pm

I am an artist who is creating a large installation using jars. I am having trouble painting some of the smaller and deeper jars inside. Do you have any suggestions?

• admin November 19, 2012, 5:03 pm

They make extenders for spray paint that look like a long straw or tube. Would that help get the spray into the jars perhaps?

• Jeanene December 5, 2012, 9:19 am

You were reading my mind..I’m on a limited budget and was considering the cheaper spray product. I’m glad I read this or I would have wasted even more money buying twice! Thank you for taking the time to inform all of us “thrifty” crafters out here! Happy Holidays! I know what I’m making for Christmas presents this year! :)

• teri h hoover photography January 6, 2013, 12:08 pm

Well y u are a lifesaver.
    I cannot find the Looking Glass paint in any store at the moment, so I though I would go with the chrome. But lucky for me I googled chrome spray vs looking glass – and you popped up with the answer. I love the internet.

Now to order the Looking Glass paint online. Thanks again-

• Rena February 22, 2013, 11:21 pm

Any ideas or products out there good for giving wood a true mirrored finish?

(DIY novice)

• admin April 24, 2013, 4:03 pm

From what I have seen you cannot get this look with wood, only glass.

• Marcia Bivens October 15, 2013, 3:39 pm

I sprayed a painted wood table with chrome paint, and it looked great. Unfortunately, the paint rubs off on your fingers and the top smudged when I touched it. Then, I tried to protect it with poly, and it turned gray. So don’t try poly on chrome! I wrote Krylon and never did get a satisfactory answer about a solution to this. I don’t understand why a company manufactures a paint that rubs off. Since this fiasco, I’ve read that others have had the same problem with chrome paint.

• Pam Kemper July 6, 2013, 5:01 pm

I am having a HECK of a time finding looking glass paint. I have tried Lowe’s, Home Depot, Michael’s, Sherwin Williams. Next stop, Walmart – ugh. Hobby Lobby is not close. I live in St. Pete, Fl. Any ideas? It really looks great, but you are right – chrome does not work!

• admin July 22, 2013, 10:43 am

I would just order it online. Michaels, AcMoore, or Hobby Lobby.

• Pam Kemper July 6, 2013, 5:04 pm

Any idea where to find looking glass paint in St. Pete, Fl.? Checked all the usual places. Next stop – Walmart.

• Lilly-lilac August 6, 2013, 9:33 am

Ace hardware sell it. I purchased two cans yesterday.

• Billie Ouellette August 8, 2013, 7:16 pm

Hello April,
    I just happened upon your blog and am I glad I did. This is a wonderful design and I will be trying this very soon for my own home. Thanks for this great home decor idea. Looks like I’ll be following you. Thanks again.

• ernie August 31, 2013, 12:12 pm

Wher can i get this looking glass spray i live in canada

• Liza C October 4, 2013, 7:12 pm

Great post! Just what I was looking for in order to make an educated decision on which one to buy.
    I know this is an old post but I can’t help pointing out one little thing.. it should be “Chrome spray paint VERSUS (not verses) Krylon Looking Glass Paint”

• Linda November 1, 2013, 4:44 pm

Hi April, I am trying to find an alternative to re-silvering an old mirror from a china hutch~ do you think would this product would work? Thanks for all the great information : )

• Margo Richmond November 14, 2013, 2:27 pm

Where do I get the special Krylon paint?

• cynthia sund April 6, 2014, 7:49 pm

This is the first Blog I have enjoyed! You have a great sense of humor. I am a Mom of four, and a Commercial Real Estate Broker who takes care of my 90 year old Dad.

• RashidH May 13, 2014, 11:22 am

its really like an original chrome metal

my favourit one “Krylon 1010A Premium Metalic”

• Lynn August 28, 2014, 8:44 pm

I tried for several months to buy Looking Glass paint in Ontario. Finally an employee at Michael’s told me that it is not available in Ontario. I will try the Krylon Chrome instead although I can see there is quite a difference.

• Jeanene Petrone September 17, 2014, 9:02 pm

Thanks for the comparison re: looking glass vs metallic. I have a can of the silver metallic, and YES, it is as shiny and that is what was tempting me. Thanks for doing the research for us out here!

• Colleen November 2, 2014, 5:50 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this info. I wanted to make over my dining room chandelier globes with the mercury glass look but apparently the product can’t be purchased in Canada so I am out of luck :( Your post saved me wasted dollars & effort as I was about to test the effect using a regular chrome paint – it’s even what Michaels’ suggested as an alternative!

• Barbara Evans November 29, 2014, 4:07 pm

Where in Canada do you sell KRYLON LOOKING GLASS (mirror) spray paint?
    I live in Markham which is 5 minutes from Toronto, Ontario.
    Don’t think my local WALMART sells it.
    Canadian Tire? Michael’s?

• Cheryl January 12, 2015, 8:49 pm

Can this be used on wood?